Nutrition including purified water is the base to nourish the skin. The saying is true ‘you are what you eat’. But it goes a step further. Digestion is not only digesting food, but it is also absorbing and utilizing the nutrients from those foods. New cells are created from these nutrients, millions each second.
Berries & Fruits
Nature’s antioxidants. Antioxidants scavenge for free radicals keeping the molecular structure in-tact, thereby, protecting the cells and keeping us young.
- Antioxidants = Anti-aging
- Vitamin C (an antioxidant) = a part of collagen, the main protein in skin = firm toned skin
Blueberries, Strawberries, Blackberries, and Cranberries. All berries and fruits like cantaloupe, watermelon, kiwi, pineapple, oranges, grapefruit, contain antioxidants and vitamin C. Add any of these superfood berries: goji, incan, mulberries, acerola cherries, rosehips, camu camu, acai.
Superfoods are super-duper concentrated nutrient dense foods, a little goes a very long way.
- Rich in Fibre.
- High amounts of vitamins A & C.
- Help acne, broken capillaries, splotchy skin because vitamin C helps to strengthen the blood vessels under the skin.
- Normalize oil levels in the skin.
- Soften the skin.
- Some berries have been shown to help protect against sun damage.
- Source of polyphenols (plant compounds) that prevent wrinkles and ageing.
Green Leafy Vegetables and Sea Vegetables
- Packed with antioxidants especially Lutein, which helps prevent wrinkles.
- High in Vitamins A, C, K.
- Rich in Minerals especially Calcium, Iron, and trace minerals.
It is Essential for Moisturized and Supple Skin. The thyroid needs iodine to function properly
- Sea vegetables, such as kelp and dulse
- Celtic sea salt
- If you aren’t getting enough good sourced iodine, consider a thyroid plant formula. In my experience, most people need thyroid support. According to the Thyroid Foundation of Canada, “200 million people in the world have some form of thyroid disease”.
Hempseeds are mild buttery smooth nutty goodness. Add a tablespoon or three to your daily routine. Skin, hair, nails, hormone balance.
- Omega 3, 6, 9, GLA.
- Vitamins A, B, D, E, Minerals calcium, potassium, sodium, iron.
- Source of dietary fiber.
- Builds red and white cells.
- Softer skin.
- Rich in antioxidants.
- Natures skin moisturizer.
- Rich in Vitamins A, B, C, E.
- Prevents wrinkles.
Good fats for healthy skin, and much more: for the heart, cholesterol, hormones, weight loss/ management.
Essential fatty acids must be consumed because their Healthy Body does not make them. Omega 3 and 6 are the good guys and you want them every day.
- Flaxseed, chia seed, hemp seed, walnuts.
- Fish oil and oily fish.
- Fish: salmon, herring, mackerel, sardines, anchovies, tuna.
Other fats for healthy skin
Coconut Oil, Organic – Kitchen, Bathroom, Bedroom
Kitchen: use it raw, for cooking, baking
Bathroom: Healthy Body moisturizer, hair care
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal
- Used in many natural beauty products (read ingredients)
Choose raw, organic.
Cold Pressed EVOO
- Contains three major antioxidants: Vitamin E, Polyphenols, Phytosterols.
- Protects the skin from damage.
- Wrinkle prevention.
A few of my personal favorites:
Silver Leaf Olive Oil http://stevesproduce-organics.com/products.html
and Rallis ice pressed Olive Oil www.rallis.com
Tip: if you aren’t getting enough raw olive oil in your diet, by this I mean eating it in its raw state not heated, take 1 tbsp right off the spoon!
Black Olives, organic
- Rich in fatty acids, Antioxidants, and Vitamin E.
- Nourishes, hydrate and protects.
- Shown to protect skin from ultraviolet radiation.
- Helps healthy, glowing complexion.
- Improves wrinkles.
Silver Leaf has a variety of exceptional olives/ paste http://stevesproduce-organics.com/products2.html
- Hydration prevents wrinkling.
- Rejuvenates skin cells.
- Clear skin.
- Helps the cells move toxins out and nutrients in.
Polyphenols, particularly EGCG acts as a “fountain of youth” for the skin. Green tea catechins are potent antioxidants that fight inflammation, DNA damage, and LDL oxidation. Rich in antioxidants, high in Vitamins C, D, K, as well as riboflavin, zinc, calcium, magnesium and iron.
- Protects cell membranes.
- Reduces the damage of sunburns and ultraviolet light.
Mushrooms are gaining recognition for their incredible properties as functional medicine from immune regulation, to alleviating allergies, to helping sleep and balance hormones, to yes Beauty!
Chaga “King of the Forest”
One of the most important anti-ageing foods yet discovered, contributing to elasticity, moisture, and firmness from within. Rich in the powerful antioxidant SOD (superoxide dismutase) which reduces cellular damage slowing down the ageing process. Keeps the skin beautiful and supple. Protects the DNA.
Reishi “Queen of Immortality”
Rich in alkaloids, triterpenes, polysaccharides, ganodermic acid, therefore, promotes clear skin, anti-ageing, elasticity, and improved skin tone. Praised in herbal medicine for thousands of years for their effects on longevity.
Quality is always key. Check out Four Sigmatic, a cool company who has done it right; dual extraction method using the fruiting bodies to bring you the best there is. Quality, synergistic blends that taste good and give you the boost or relaxation you need, and healthy skin as a bonus. Just add hot water and sip away… www.foursigmatic.com Canada: www.rawelements.ca use code VP for 10% discount
And, best of all…..
I’m talking about raw cacao free of processed ingredients and dairy. Organic is best. Raw is even better. Chocolate is a superfood loaded with antioxidants, contains “feel good” bliss neurotransmitters, and rich in magnesium. (just in case you needed more reasons to eat more chocolate).
- Moisturizes the skin and aids circulation.
- Protection against free radical damage.
- Prevents dry skin.
- Choose a minimum 70% cacao. Choose chocolate free of dairy and processed sugar.
Giddy Yoyo makes amazing raw organic chocolate bars with lots of options, oh and they have an awesome moisturizing Healthy Body butter called Love Butter (smells like chocolate and you can eat it!) www.giddyyoyo.com