Like a healthy head of hair, long, thick eyelashes are more than a fashion statement; they are an indicator of good health and can help you look and feel your best. Although there are many methods for eyelash enhancement and extensions available on the market, there are natural remedies available to promote the growth of fuller, longer lashes. Here are a few:
Oils for healthy hair and for eyelashes
Certain oils are beneficial for stimulating the growth of both hair & eyelashes. Here are some of the most popular oils to enhance hair growth….take caution when using some of these oils in the eye area, as some individuals may have sensitivities that could be irritating.
- Castor oil – enhanced circulation and hair growth
- Lavender oil – accelerates hair growth
- Peppermint oil – increases circulation and follicle growth
- Rosemary oil – enhances cellular generation
- Coconut oil – protects hair from the loss of protein
- Vitamin E oil – has antioxidant properties and improves blood circulation
- Olive oil – moisturizes hair and promote fuller lashes
While some oils (like olive oil and coconut oil) can be applied directly onto skin, one must take care when using essential oils as they are more potent and can cause irritation. For a safer application, dilute essential oils with carrier oils (e.g. sweet almond oil) in 2-5 ml drops. Purchase high quality pure organic essential oils from a trusted spa or distributor.
- Gently cleanse the eye area.
- Apply the oil or mixture on your lash line with a cotton swab or a fresh clean Q-tip. Avoid getting oil in the eyes or into the tear ducts. If this happens, wash the eyes thoroughly with water. Blot any excess oil that might migrate into the eye.
- Leave the “serum” overnight.
- Clean the eye area the next day. Be gentle and thorough to avoid clogging of pores.
Giving your lash line a good daily massage improves the circulation in the area, helps stimulate natural oils and ultimately promotes healthier lash growth. Before you start, observe the following:
- Make sure your hands are clean. Wash and dry them before starting the message to prevent exposure to germs or infection.
- Use sweeping motions along the length of your eyelids and along the lash lines with either your fingers or a fresh, clean Q-tip.
- Be gentle. If the eyelids or eyeballs hurt, you may be applying too much pressure.
- If you choose to use oil during the massage, keep out of the eyes and stay away from the tear ducts in the corners. Coconut oil is a safe choice for this. It’s gentle on your skin and contains antibacterial properties. Wash your face after an oil massage to avoid clogging pores.
For naturally healthier hair and longer, thicker eyelashes, a diet rich in protein and healthy fats is essential. Eat the right types of food, including:
- Leafy Greens (spinach, broccoli, kale, and peas)
- Fruits (cranberries, citrus, apples, and strawberries)
- Protein Sources (lean meat, fish, eggs, and dairy)
- Healthy High-Fat Foods (almond, avocados, salmon, and olive oil)
- Green Tea
- Remove eye makeup every night. Leaving makeup on can cause pores to clog or become infected. Removing your eye makeup also allows your lashes and skin to breathe. More importantly, you are preventing makeup particulates from getting into your eyes or the tear ducts.
- For those times that you are too exhausted to remove your makeup, keep dermatologist approved makeup wipes on hand or use Micellar Water.
- Consider using Micellar Water to remove eye makeup….not only is it amazing for removing mascara, eyeliner, and makeup, but most effective at removing foundation as well. The beauty of the Riversol brand of Micellar Water is that it is gentle enough for the most sensitive skin.
- Whether using Micellar Water or makeup remover, use a sweeping action over the eye area with a fresh, clean cotton pad. Be sure to use a fresh clean pad for each eye, to help prevent the transfer of any possible germs from one eye to the other.
- Be sure that your makeup remover has not expired or has been exposed to any cross-contaminants.
- If you have been using lash extensions for a prolonged period of time, consider giving your lashes a rest for 6-8 weeks. This time period allows for new growth to cycle through.
- For lashes damaged from extensions and for lashes that have fallen out, lash enhancing products are best used during a lash extension “time out”. Products such as Latisse (be sure to purchase from reputable suppliers that use authentic and not knock-off products) are the perfect solution for restoration and rejuvenation of the lashes.
- Give your eyelids and lashes a rest. Wearing eye makeup every day can dry skin and lashes, leading to irritation, styles, and the loss of lashes.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes. This can damage your lashes and cause them to break or fall.
- Brush lashes daily. Doing so enhances blood flow and allows for an even distribution of oils.
Healthy Eyelashes along with healthy tissue in the actual eye area are all a part of a brighter, healthier appearance. That said, be sure to speak to a professional who can help you address common issues such as dryness, dehydration, wrinkles, fine lines, dark circles, and puffiness are the eyes.
You do not need artificial extensions to achieve a naturally healthy set of eyelashes. These home remedies are an excellent alternative and can serve as natural eyelash enhancers.
Clarity Medspa & Laser in Toronto, Ontario offers products and services to effectively promote the growth of naturally thick, long eyelashes. Call us today at (416) 960-2222.