Ear coning, also called Ear candling or thermal-auricular therapy, is an alternative medicine practice claimed to improve general health and well-being by lighting one end of a hollow candle and placing the other end in the ear canal.
In 1992, the German “Riza Psicosomatica” magazine published an article which reported the results of a number of tests carried out by a group of doctors on the use of the otosan ear cone. From this research it emerged that the cone may be efficacious in certain pathological conditions of the ear and principally on two very frequent complaints: the obstruction of the ear duct due to wax and otalgia during otitis.
Auriculotherapy is based on the premise that the entire body is represented on the outer portion of the ear, in a similar fashion to reflexology, and that the entire body can be treated by stimulation of the surface of the ear exclusively.
Dr. Paul F. Nogier, M.D., in 1957, first proposed that the ear is a complete energetic system; the only organ that has acupoints which can affect the entire body. This allowed the physician non-invasive access to the entire body through needling, massaging or stimulating the ear.
Benefits of Ear Coning
Coning helps stimulate these ear points to rebalance the flow of energy – regulating
the body’s internal organs and functions and stimulating the release of endorphins, the body’s own ‘feel-good’ chemicals. For example, by stimulating the kidney meridian to ensure the Qi energy is ample, the ear is well nourished and hearing is acute.
Anecdotal benefits of ear coning include:
- Help clear sinuses, Eustachian tubes, bronchial airways
- Provide relief from pressure headaches
- Reduce TMJ symptoms stress teeth grinding
- Stop/lessen snoring
- Help correct problems with balance/vertigo
- Pull infection assist in fluid drainage from inner/middle ear
- Draw out toxins and dirt improving hearing, vision, taste and smell
- Help with air pressure fluctuations eg. flight attendants,pilots, downhill skiers, car and boat racers, scuba divers, swimmers
- Reduce allergy symptoms
- Stop/lessen buzzing, ringing in the ears/head
- Help correct chronic ear and throat infections
- Help with those who work in a noisy environment eg. construction and factory workers, musicians
- Experience a feeling of lightness and clarity in the head
**The one hour session begins with relaxing back massage, a thorough face and neck massage, to encourage proper sinus and lymphatic drainage, auricular massage during the coning, and a hand massage for a complete body treatment.**