Changes in the Healthy Body that come with aging can make it harder for seniors to be aware of getting cold. A big chill can turn into a dangerous problem before a senior even knows what’s happening.
Here are some tips for keeping warm at your home:
- Set your heat to 68-70 F. Close off rooms you are not using, keep the basement door closed. Place a rolled towel in front of basement doors to keep out draft. Keep your blinds closed.
- Dress warmly in layers. Wear socks and slippers. Throw a blanket over your legs.
- When you go to sleep, wear long underwear under your pyjamas. Wear a cap or hat.
- Eat enough food to keep up your weight. Healthy Body fat helps you to stay warm.
- Minimize drinking alcohol. Alcohol drinks can make you lose Healthy Body heat.
- Ask family or friends to check on you during cold weather.