The time of perimenopause, menopause and beyond are often seen as problematic times for women and medicalized conditions from the allopathic medical world. While I would never discount the discomfort and challenges that many women experience during this time, my own personal and professional experience has shown me that these symptoms can be minimized when the right nutrition, mindfulness, awareness and self-care are put into place.
The key components that I have coached my clients are:
1. It’s NOT all in your head. Don’t let anyone tell you that it is. If your primary care professional is not listening to you, find someone who is!
2. Self-care is NOT being selfish. Self-care is about nourishing your needs; personally as well as professionally. Taking some time to reflect on this and writing down some of your thoughts, will help you clarify those needs and how you need to meet them.
3. Paying attention to what you put in your body IS a foundational way to provide self-care to your body. Some foods can be deeply nourishing and rejuvenating while other foods can be a source of intolerance and inflammation. Dairy, wheat, soy and nightshades are some examples of common foods that can be a challenge to some systems but this really is different for everyone. A food sensitivity test can help determine what those foods are.
4. Take care of your LIVER. Your liver processes practically everything that enters your body. It has an enormous job with over 450 actions – that we know about! So it makes sense to take care of your liver. Do a supervised detox 2 x per year to keep your liver and other internal organs doing the jobs they are meant to do.
5. Support your ADRENALS. Your adrenals provide both the repairing hormones DHEA and the stress related hormones Cortisol and Adrenaline. Too many women have too much of the stress related hormones running through their system, often for long stretches of time. Keeping your adrenals nourished with adaptogens and B Vitamins is restorative and deeply grounding.
I’m very excited to be heading up this program at 365 Living. Today and in our PRIMETIME WOMAN program, you will get relevant information on all the above and more!Register here. Prime Time Woman